I do love a good podcasts and one of my absolute favourites is Gretchen Rubin’s Happier. She does it with her sister – Liz Craft – who also has a great podcast called Happier in Hollywood with her writing partner Sarah Fain.
One of their key ideas over the last couple of years is to do a number for a year e.g. 19 for 2019, 20 for 2020 and of course 21 for 2021.
Last year I did 20 for 2020 and it was interesting to observe what did get done and what didn’t . There was some of them that I could have completed e.g. cross stitch piece and watching a play (I could have done that online – as I did with the musical) . I surprised myself by doing the 52 newsletters and I found that I enjoyed doing jigsaws more than I thought I would (have done quite a few since that first one) . I really enjoyed the audio books – I found it a very different experience to reading the book but if anything it made it easier.
So in that spirit, here is my 21 for 2021. Some of them are aspirational – they may or may not happen depending on Covid and other things but I like the idea of just naming what I would like to happen. They are , as they say on the best talent shows, in no particular order…
- Go for a cycle somewhere (I say that every year after watching the Tour de France – this year I’m going to make it happen)
- Learn about the basics of Bitcoin – nothing fancy – just to know the basics of it
- Read the Masters of Rome series by Colleen McCullough
- Listen to Hamilton (done that already on Spotify – fabulous stuff!)
- Do a 10 k race (setting the bar low for this one – run it all, finish it and don’t die – even if they are putting out the lights when I come in)
- Do a hill walk again with my son – it was one of my highlights from last year. A beautiful day in Connemara – what’s not to love?
- Visit Worm’s Head – Wales (Scene of the Wheel of Fortune by Susan Howatch)
- Create a playlist of all Prefab Sprout’s albums from start to finish and listen to it.
- Read 21 books (ones I already have on my Kindle)
- Listen a Jane Austen audio book – probably Emma.
- Do a long walk – probably 15 to 20 Km
- Listen to a Shakespeare play on audio
- Join a book club (already done)
- Learn three basic dance moves
- Visit a friend of mine in Cork (Covid permitting)
- Get around the house finished
- Explore the idea of doing a podcast
- Visit Scéirde (a rocky place off the coast) – again, COVID permitting
- Learn more about Artificial Intelligence – maybe do a course on it.
- Learn more about ways to learn faster e.g accelerated learning, Ultralearning and see if there are ways for me to implement it in my training.
- Create a new habit to help me listen more regularly to podcasts e.g. lunch and a podcast.